Watch the political debates to see the pompous gene in action. Although we’ve come to expect this from politicians, the pompous gene may be alive and well right in your own backyard. Here are a few examples of pomposity in everyday behavior.
1. There’s reality; then there’s his reality. He’s got an enormous ego that will not listen to the facts. No interest in pursuing a dialogue that might forge understanding and compromise. He’s only interested in getting you to agree with him.
2. She refuses to perceive the world as it is; it’s much more to her liking to perceive it how she wishes it to be. She believes that she has an inalienable right to do as she pleases.with little, if any, concern for how her behavior affects others.
3. When challenged, his words spring out like blows. With bombast and rants, he lets you know that if you want to be in his world, you’ll just have to accept the way he is. After all, he’s used to getting what he wants, without showing a shred of appreciation for what others do to prop him up.
4. Time revolves around her. Time to go? Sorry, the lady cannot be rushed. She is propelled by her own momentum.
5. Apologies are rare events. If an apology is extracted, it will be under pressure, inauthentic. He’ll quickly forget what he said as he moves past the issue without making amends.
6. Emotional beliefs trump facts.
Why not? Facts are based upon untrustworthy information, bogus science. Emotions are based upon the desire to have one’s destiny fulfilled, which is, of course, paramount..
7. His king-size ego needs to be lauded and lionized. Hence, he over promises and under delivers, unencumbered by promises and facts. He must win. Indeed, what else could be a worthwhile goal – except winning?
These are a few of the ways the pompous gene is displayed. Know anyone like this? Recognize any of these characteristics in yourself? The awesome power of the human mind never fails to amaze me – especially when a person’s pompous nature so easily mangles truth, empathy and reason.
“Whenever I start feeling too arrogant about myself, I always take a trip to the U.S.
The immigration guys kick the star out of my stardom.”
Shah Rukh Khan